How to Keep Your Teeth Looking White and Bright and Perfect All the Time

Dentist nashville tn

Whitening your teeth isn’t the only procedure cosmetic dentists perform, although it’s perhaps one of their most popular. Cosmetic dentists actually have a wide array of services they perform, including replacing missing teeth, narrowing gaps, shaping or contouring teeth, and much, much more. Indeed, over three million people in the United States have dental implants and that number is only increasing (by 500,000) annually. The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) reports that those over the age of 65 have about 18.90 teeth left, out of the 32 that we’re supposed to have! No wonder dental implants sought after by patients. Having dental implants can make eating easier and improve a person’s smile. And any cosmetic or implant dentist will tell you that one of the best ways to keep your teeth looking great is to carry out regular dental care.
How Much Do People Really Care About Teeth?
Even though a concerning amount of people aren’t necessarily interested in putting in the work it takes to keep their pearly whites shining, they certainly notice the results. There are huge social assessments that are often made (sometimes consciously, sometimes unconsciously) based on the appearance of your teeth. Almost 100% of adults say that they think a healthy smile is important for their social life and over 95% of adults said that a nice looking smile made someone more attractive to the opposite sex. It even has an impact on careers — three-quarters of adults say they think an unattractive smile can be detrimental to their career success.
Certainly, over 30% of those in the United States have concern about the way their teeth look when they smile and almost 20% don’t smile or try to otherwise hide their teeth in pictures. The sad thing is that keeping your teeth healthy isn’t terribly difficult.
So What Can I Do?
At the risk of sounding like your parents: brush and floss regularly! The key word is regularly — you should ideally brush after every meal, which isn’t always realistic. But brushing after breakfast and before you leave for work or school and brushing after dinner before you go to bed can have a major impact on the way your teeth look. So can flossing! Brushing only gets rid of 75% of the bacteria that cause plaque — flossing will help eliminate the other 25% for full coverage. You should also be going to see your family dentist twice a year for more thorough check-ups and cleanings. Their tools can chip away at hard plaque that we can’t get with our toothbrushes and that tends to build up over the six months that we don’t see them. Mouthwash also isn’t a bad idea — it’ll keep your breath smelling fresh and hopefully will also eliminate the bacteria that might hide in hard to reach places in your mouth.
But What If I Want My Teeth To Look Amazing Right Now?
If you’ve been brushing and flossing and still want to give your teeth a “facelift,” consider going to a cosmetic dentist. (Or if you haven’t been brushing and flossing and want to start over with a clean slate after having visited your dentist.) Teeth whitening is one of the most common appointments made with a cosmetic dentist with a great success rate. Over 80% of people noted a real difference after their procedure and the number of procedures performed has increased by 300% in the United States over the last five years.
If you have missing or chipped teeth, a cosmetic dentist can also help. They can replace fillings in a way that isn’t obvious and narrow any gaps between your teeth. Essentially, they’ll work some wonders on your smile and you may be shocked by how great it appears after they’re done!
Make sure your cosmetic dentist is part of the Academy of American Cosmetic Dentistry, to ensure that you’re getting advanced and high quality care.
The bottom line is: maintain your teeth by brushing and flossing regularly, but really don’t be afraid to reach out and get in touch with a cosmetic dentist for that little extra boost!